Saturday, November 15, 2014

Lessons Are Learned in Times of Struggle

This week was a doozy for me.  This week was the first time I began to feel like there was far more I was doing wrong, then was doing right.

I know I'm a new administrator.  I know I have a lot to learn.  I know I'm going to make mistakes.  Those are things that I am fully aware of.

Regardless of what I know, I still get extremely frustrated when things don't go as planned.

This school year has seen a lot of things thrown at me and thrown at us as a school.

One thing that I really struggle with is wanting to "fix" everything.  I want everything to go great.  There's a lot of work to be done at my school and my teachers are working so very hard to turn our ship around.

This week though, it was one thing after another that just made me feel like a failure as a leader.  I left every day, and on the ride home just sat and cried and prayed the entire way home.  I began to doubt who I was, who I am.

I have the best administrative team in the world.  Without Terry, Aaron, or Geralyn, I couldn't do what I do.

But as I think about my failures and mistakes I've made and continue to make, I'm reminded of one simple fact.  And that is that we learn the most when we are in the midst of the struggle.  We don't learn when things are going great.

And that is what I hold on to.  That through everything I'm learning.  Through everything I'm growing.

I wanted to write this post to remind so many, that we all struggle.  Things don't always go as we hoped or planned, but the road isn't designed to be easy for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment